What is a business model canvas?
A business model canvas is a tool to help you understand the business model of your startup in a structured way. The goal of the canvas is to create a shared understanding on your customers, your value propositions, and how your startup makes money. The Business Model Canvas was created by Alexander Osterwalder, of
Use this Business Model Canvas template
How to use this business model canvas template
Share this doc with your team and start the timer
Write out the most important drivers in each quadrant of the canvas
Link each value proposition with a customer segment(s) and revenue stream(s)
Review the canvas your team put together and write down any reflections
Business model canvas diagram
At a high level, here is a description of each quadrant in the business model canvas:
- List the top 3 that drive the most revenue
- What is the job you get done for your customer?
- List your top 3 revenue streams
- How do you communicate with your customer?
- Where do you maintain these relationships?
- What does your day-to-day look to keep your startup’s business model running?
- Human resources, financial, technology, processes; anything that you need to keep the business running
- Partners that help you keep the business running (excluding suppliers)
- Costs derived from business activities and resources
This business canvas template is meant to be a
. We hope that filling out this canvas will spur conversations about your startup’s business model, uncover new opportunities, and draw out insights you and your team didn’t know before.