YMCA Youth Employee Instructions

Congratulations on joining the YMCA through the City of Boston SuccessLink program. We look forward to welcoming you to the YMCA for summer work!
This page will help you understand the pre-employment process and the documents that you need to submit before you can begin working.
If you have questions about these requirements or need help completing your paperwork, please contact

Get Your Work Permit

If you are under 18 years old, you must get a work permit. A personalized work permit application was sent to your email when you accepted your offer. The application alone does not authorize you to work for the summer. You must submit your work permit application to the City of Boston to receive your work permit.
To get your work permit you must:
Print the Work Permit application,
Ask your parent or guardian to sign the Work Permit Application
Submit your work permit application online or in-person.
If you will be 14 or 15 when you start work: you must have a doctor or nurse practitioner sign the Certificate of Health section to clear you to work. You can also use a school or camp form from your doctor's office with a digital signature instead of completing this section.

Submit your Permit Application

You can submit your work permit application or in person.
To submit your permit application you will need:
Your completed work permit application
If you are under 16, the Certificate of Health section must be completed and signed by your doctor
One of the following documents that proves your age:
A school ID with graduation date
State issued identification cards
BPS Aspen (or other SIS) print-out with a date of birth
Birth Certificate
Immigration Documents
And a document that proves you are enrolled in school (If you are 16 or 17 and are not enrolled in school you instead need a document that proves you have completed the sixth grade).
To submit online:
Upload the completed work permit application
To submit in-person:
Bring your completed application, your proof of age documentation, and your school enrollment document to one of the following places to receive your work permit:
Boston Public School guidance counselors
PIC Career Specialists in BPS High Schools
Youth Employment and Opportunity Office
1483 Tremont Street, Boston
They will review your completed paperwork, verify your information, and give you your work permit.
You must bring your work permit with you on your first day of work. The YMCA will keep your work permit on file for the duration of your employment.
Don’t forget to upload your work permit, following the instructions to Upload Your Documents.

Upload Your Documents

Before you can begin work at the YMCA, you must . These documents demonstrate your eligibility for the program and help us complete your employee profile.
You will need to upload the following:
Proof of identity and age
Proof of school enrollment
Proof of Boston residency
Your Work Permit
IMPORTANT: you must upload your Work Permit, and not your Work Permit Application.
Upload your documents here:
You must enter the same personal email address you used when you applied to upload your documents. You do not need to upload all your documents at once and you can come back as often as you need to.

Proof of Identity and Age

You must upload one of the following documents:
U.S. Birth Certificate
U.S. Passport (cannot be expired)
Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization
Puerto Rican Birth Certificate (issued after 07/01/10)
Alien Resident Card (cannot be expired)
Foreign Passport with Visible I-551 Stamp (cannot be expired)
Employment Registration Card (cannot be expired)

Proof of School Enrollment

You must upload one of the following documents:
Current student ID card / BPS One card
Current online student management profile page showing profile and home address, such as the BPS Aspen "Info" page
Current year Report Card or Progress Report
Signed letter from school administrator on school letterhead with home address from current school year
If you are no longer enrolled in school or have recently graduated, please provide documentation from the previous school year or the most recent grade you completed.

Proof of Boston Residency

These documents can be in your parent/guardian’s name but must include a home address that matches your school enrollment document. These documents must be current. If using a bill or bank statement, it should be issued within the last 90 days.
Upload one of the following:
Current Lease Agreement
Gas or Oil Bill
Electric Bill
Cable Bill
Home Phone Bill
Bank Statement
Credit card statement
Water Bill
Car Registration or Insurance (must be current)
A Letter from an Approved Government Agency (Department of Revenue (DOR), Children and Family Services (DCF), Transitional Assistance (DTA), Youth Services (DYS), Social Security, Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This residency policy does not apply to homeless or displaced youths. If you are currently homeless or displaced, please contact for more information.

Your Work Permit

After you turn in your work permit application to the City of Boston, they will provide you with your work permit.
Your work permit will look like this:
IMPORTANT: You must upload your work permit, and not your work permit application. The application alone does not authorize you to work for the summer.
If you are under 18, you cannot begin work until you have your work permit.


At least three references are required from all employees working at the YMCA. When you accept your employment offer, you will receive an email from Checkster with instructions to provide references.

Background Check

All employees of the YMCA are required to complete and pass a background check.
If you are working with very young children, there is an additional step. An additional fingerprinting step is required for employees working with children who are not old enough to attend kindergarten. If you’ll be working in a role that requires fingerprinting, you will need to complete a fingerprint authorization form that must be submitted in addition to the background check authorization form mentioned above.

Worklio Onboarding

Once your forms are signed and you submit your documents, you will receive an invitation to complete a final onboarding step through the Worklio system. During this process, you will complete your new employee profile and confirm your banking and tax information.
You must complete this onboarding in order to record your hours and receive your pay.

I-9 Employee Verification Documents

Before you can work, the federal government requires documents that confirm your identity and your eligibility to work in the United States. You will need to bring these documents with you on your first day of work.
You must provide original documents. Documents must be current and unexpired. Certified copies of documents issued by the state or town which include an original seal and signature are accepted. Photocopies are not accepted.
The documents you need are divided into three categories: List A, List B, and List C.
List A documents establish both your identity and your authorization to work. List B documents only establish your identity. List C documents only establish your authorization to work.
If you have a List A document, that is the only document you need.
If you don’t have a List A document, then you need both a List B and a List C document.
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 2.21.55 PM.png
List A Documents:
US Passport or US Passport Card
Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
Foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A with Arrival-Departure Record, and containing an endorsement to work
Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI
List B Documents:
Driver’s license or state ID card with a photograph and other identifying information
ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies with a photograph and other identifying information
School ID card with a photograph
Voter registration card
US Military card or Military dependent’s ID card
Native American tribal document
Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority
If you do not have one of these List B documents, you can use a school record or report card, or a clinic or doctor’s record, as long as it includes your identifying information (such as your name, age, and address.)
List C Documents:
US Social Security Card
Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipality, or territory of the United States
Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the US Department of State
Native American tribal document
US Citizen ID card
ID card for the use of resident citizen in the US
Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
More details about the I-9 document requirements can be found here:

Want to print your doc?
This is not the way.
Try clicking the ⋯ next to your doc name or using a keyboard shortcut (
) instead.