Summer is officially here, and it’s time to embrace all the fun activities that come with this season! Whether you’re hitting the beach, attending pool parties, or simply spending time outdoors, there’s no denying that summer can take a toll on your skin. With the scorching heat and intense sun rays, a well-rounded summer skincare routine is crucial. In this blog post, we’ll share tips and tricks on keeping your skin healthy and glowing during those hot summer months. So let’s beat the heat with this simple yet effective summer skincare routine!
Introduction to Summer Skin Care
This summer, whether you’re hitting the beach or just spending time outside, taking extra care of your skin is essential. Here are a few tips to help you keep your skin looking its best all season.
1. Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water is vital for keeping your skin healthy and hydrated. Drink at least eight glasses of water every day, and more if you’re spending time in the sun.
2. Protect your skin from the sun. Choose a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and reapply it every few hours, especially if you are sweating or swimming.
3. Exfoliate regularly. Sloughing off dead skin cells will help keep your skin looking smooth and radiant. Use a gentle exfoliating scrub a few times a week, and moisturize afterward to prevent dryness.
4. Eat healthy foods. What you eat directly impacts your skin’s health, so fill up plenty of fruits, vegetables, and other nutrient-rich foods. And remember to stay away from sugary snacks and drinks that can cause breakouts!
Different Types of Skin & Their Requirements
There are four main skin types: normal, dry, oily, and combination. Each type of skin has different requirements when it comes to summer skincare.
Normal skin is well-balanced and not too dry or too oily. It is important to keep normal skin hydrated during the summer months. A light lotion or moisturizer can be applied daily.
Dry skin is lacking in natural oil production, which can cause the skin to become cracked, itchy, and irritated. Using a gentle cleanser on dry skin is essential, as avoiding harsh sunscreens and other products that could further dry the skin. A rich lotion or cream should be applied daily to help keep the skin hydrated.
Oily skin produces too much natural oil, leading to clogged pores and breakouts. Oily skin must be protected from the sun with a non-comedogenic sunscreen (it won’t clog pores). A light lotion or gel-based moisturizer can be used daily. Avoiding heavy or greasy products is essential, as they will only worsen the problem.
Combination skin is a mix of both oily and dry areas. The T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin) is usually oily, while the cheeks are dry. A gentle cleanser should be used on combination skin, followed by a light lotion or gel-based moisturizer on the oily.
What Should You Avoid When It Comes to Summer Skincare?
When it comes to summer skincare, you should avoid a few things to keep your skin looking its best. First, avoid spending too much time in the sun and too much sun exposure can lead to sunburn, premature aging, and an increased risk of skin cancer. Instead, seek shade when possible and wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 outdoors.
Second, avoid using harsh skincare products that can strip away your skin’s natural oils. These products can leave your skin feeling dry and irritated. Instead, opt for gentle, hydrating products that will help keep your skin healthy and hydrated all summer.
Avoid neglecting your skincare routine altogether! Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you can skip out on cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing your skin. A consistent skincare routine is the best way to maintain healthy and happy skin all year round.
Summer Skincare Routine
Summertime is the perfect time to focus on your routine. The warmer weather and longer days provide the ideal opportunity to pamper your skin and give it the attention it deserves. Here is a summer skincare routine that will leave you feeling refreshed and looking your best. Start with a clean slate. Wash your face two times a day with a gentle cleanser to remove dirt, oil, and makeup.
2. Exfoliate weekly. Slough off dead skin cells with a gentle exfoliator. This will help to prevent breakouts and keep your skin looking radiant.
3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Summertime humidity can be a godsend for dry skin types, but everyone can benefit from an extra dose of hydration. Use a light, oil-free moisturizer to hydrate your skin without feeling heavy or greasy.
4. Protect your skin from the sun. Remember to apply sunscreen daily, even outdoors, for a few minutes.
5. Give yourself a summer once per week. Pamper yourself with a hydrating face mask packed with antioxidants and vitamins — your skin will thank you for it!
Summer Skin Care Tips for Oily Skin
Summertime is the perfect season to let your skin breathe. However, if you have oily skin, you know that the heat and humidity can cause your skin to produce even more oil, leading to breakouts. But don’t let that stop you from enjoying the warmer months! Just follow these simple tips for keeping your oily skin under control all summer long:
1. Start with a clean slate. Be sure to wash your face every morning and night with a gentle cleanser that won’t strip your skin of its natural oils. We recommend using our Purifying Gel Cleanser, which contains salicylic acid to help control excess oil production.
2. Exfoliate regularly. Sloughing off dead skin cells will help prevent clogged pores and breakouts. We recommend exfoliating 2–3 times per week with our Green Tea Sugar Scrub.
3. Use a light, oil-free moisturizer. Even oily skin needs some hydration! Look for a light, water-based moisturizer that won’t block pores or leave behind a greasy residue. Our Oil-Free Daily Moisturizer SPF 15 is perfect for summertime use.
4. Protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Always apply sunscreen before heading outdoors, even running errands or walking around the block. Choose an oil-free sunscreen with at least SPF 30 for best results.
Summer Skin Care Tips for Dry Skin
Dry skin can be challenging to keep hydrated, especially during the summer. The heat and humidity can sap moisture from your skin, leaving it feeling parched, tight, and irritated. But don’t despair — you can do plenty of things to help keep your dry skin healthy and hydrated all summer. Here are a few summer skin care tips for dry skin:
1. Use a Gentle Cleanser: Avoid harsh soaps and cleansers that can strip moisture from your skin. Instead, opt for a gentle, hydrating cleanser that cleans your skin without scrubbing it out of its natural oils.
2. Moisturize Regularly: Dry skin needs extra hydration, so moisturize regularly throughout the day. Look for a moisturizer that contains components like hyaluronic acid or glycerin, which help attract and lock in moisture.
3. Exfoliate Gently: Gently exfoliating your dry skin will help remove dead skin cells that can contribute to a dull complexion. Be sure to use a gentle exfoliator containing tiny beads or granules. Avoid scrubbing too hard, which can further irritate dry skin.
4. Protect Your Skin from the Sun: Remember to apply sunscreen! The sun’s rays can be drying and damaging to your skin, so be sure to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen
Exfoliation and Sunscreen
When it comes to summer skin care, one of the most essential things you can do is exfoliate regularly. This will help to remove any dead skin cells that can build up and cause your skin to look dull. It’s also essential to use sunscreen to protect your skin from getting damaged effects of the sun’s UV rays.
Easy DIY Skincare Recipes
Regarding summer skincare, the focus is often on protecting your skin from the sun. But did you know some easy DIY skincare recipes can help beat the heat and keep your skin looking its best?
Here are a few of our favorite summer skincare recipes:
1. DIY Cucumber Melon Mist: This refreshing mist is perfect for hot summer days. Combine 1 cup of cucumber juice, 1 cup of melon juice, and one tablespoon of witch hazel in a spray bottle and mist away!
2. DIY Lavender Lemonade: This delicious drink is refreshing and greatly benefits your skin. Mix 1 cup of lemonade, 1/4 cup of lavender water, and one tablespoon of honey. Drink up!
3. DIY Rosewater Facial Spray: After a long day in the sun, this facial spray can help you cool down. Combine 1/4 cup of rosewater and 1/4 cup of distilled water in a spray bottle and mist your face as needed.
Tips for Maintaining Healthy Skin During the Summer
When the sun shines, and the temperature rises, neglecting your skincare routine is easy. But if you want to maintain healthy skin during the summer, there are a few extra steps you should be taking. Here are our top tips:
1. Wear sunscreen every day — even when it’s cloudy. Ultraviolet rays can penetrate clouds, so don’t skip the SPF because it’s overcast outside. Use sunscreen every two hours or after swimming or sweating with a broad-spectrum SPF of at least 30.
2. Stay hydrated by drinking a lot of water. Hot weather can make you sweat more, so you must replenish your fluids. Drink eight glasses of water daily and eat lots of fruits and vegetables that contain water (like watermelon and cucumber).
3. Limit your time in the sun. You should avoid being outdoors between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Wear hats, sunglasses, and long pants and sleeves if you were outside during these hours if you must be outside during these hours.
4. Exfoliate regularly to remove dead skin that can clog pores and lead to breakouts. Use a gentle scrub or brush designed for your skin type and exfoliate your face and body a few times a week. But don’t overdo it, as over-exfoliating can irritate your skin.
Summertime can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it’s the perfect time to go out and enjoy the sunshine. But on the other, your skin needs extra protection from its harsh rays. A summer skincare routine is essential for maintaining healthy and beautiful skin all season! With these simple tips, you can keep your skin looking its best while having fun in the sun this summer. Remember: hydration and SPF are essential!