Lamorna Village Hall began life in 1881 as Lamorna Church of England School, to serve local children and the children of the Lamorna quarrymen. The building was purpose built and designed so that it could also be used as a church. Due to poor funding and a decrease in the number of pupils after the quarry closed in 1911, the school failed to thrive and closed in 1921. During the 1960s a group of enthusiastic people transformed the redundant building into Lamorna Village Hall, which has served the community ever since. The Hall offers a variety of events, concerts, lectures and classes throughout the year and an informal carol service at Christmas. The Committee organises an annual series of autumn and winter talks, plus a popular Christmas Fair. The Hall is used as a polling station and as a meeting room for the St. Buryan, Lamorna and Paul Parish Council. It is also available for private hire.
The building itself was beginning to show signs of old age, the kitchen needed modernising and the toilets making more accessible. With this in mind the Committee spent several years of hard work fund raising. Consultation evenings were arranged to enable local residents to have their say and make suggestions. Many fund raising events were arranged, including an auction of paintings, where Penzance auctioneer David Lay gave his services free of charge and a very successful classical concert was given by Duo Lamorniana. The local community supported all these events with enthusiasm and contributions to the renovation fund. Meanwhile the Committee was busy completing and submitting applications to various bodies who offer grants to help keep rural communities to continue to thrive.
The target amount was finally reached and in 2020, in the throws of Covid, renovation work on the kitchen and toilets began, and new, draught-proof windows were installed in the Hall. This work completed, the Hall could not reopen until the Covid regulations were relaxed, as it is such a small space. Finally in July 2021 the doors were opened to the public and a celebratory on opening event was held in conjunction with an art exhibition by the Lamorna Kerr Art Group.